Lower Augusta Township is a township in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, United States. It was formed in 1846 by the division of Augusta Township (one of the seven original townships of Northumberland County formed in 1772) into Upper and Lower sections. The population was 1,079 at the 2000 Census. According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 20.4 square miles (52.9 km²), of which, 18.2 square miles (47.3 km²) of it is land and 2.2 square miles (5.6 km²) of it (10.58%) is water. As of the census of 2000, there were 1,079 people, 401 households, and 322 families residing in the township. The population density was 59.1 people per square mile (22.8/km²). There were 425 housing units at an average density of 23.3/sq mi (9.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.42% White, 0.19% African American, 0.56% Asian, and 0.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.28% of the population. There were 401 households out of which 29.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.3% were married couples living together, 4.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.5% were non-families. 15.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 2.99. In the township the population was spread out with 21.5% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 25.8% from 25 to 44, 31.0% from 45 to 64, and 13.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 103.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.1 males. The median income for a household in the township was $41,087, and the median income for a family was $44,417. Males had a median income of $30,969 versus $20,147 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,877. About 1.5% of families and 2.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 0.4% of those under age 18 and 5.6% of those age 65 or over.
- Board meetings will be held the second Monday of every month at 7pm.
- The bridge on Boyles Run Run nearest to route 147 is scheduled to be closed beginning June 2016 for replacement. (JV-122) http://parapidbridges.com
- The bridge on Hallowing Run Road near Crissinger Hill Road is scheduled for replacement in June of 2017. (JV-121) http://parapidbridges.com
- The single lane bridge on Hallowing Run Road is scheduled for replacement starting in August of 2016 and will be closed through the fall.
- The board will be bidding out potential Dirt and Gravel road grant projects in the coming months for 2017.
- The Board of Supervisors accepted bids to repair and seal coat East and West Ridge Roads in the summer of 2016. Little Mountain road and Church Road will also be sealed in 2016.
- The Lower Augusta Volunteer Fire Department will hold a Chicken BBQ on May 28th starting at 11am at 1325 Boyles Run Road.
- The Board is currently reviewing a required flood ordinance provided by FEMA. The ordinance must be adopted by September. Flood Map questions should be referred to the following site: https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/10961?id=2782